from bon appetit 2001 a terrific latke. Sauce makes 1 cup
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter (or more)
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, squeezed dry
- 1/3 cup crustless challah (packed, or other egg-bread pieces)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- 4 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Feta Yogurt Sauce
- 1Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add green onions and garlic; sauté until onions are soft, about 2 minutes. Add spinach and sauté until liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool completely.
- 2Blend challah in processor to fine crumbs. Add spinach mixture and dill and process, using on/off turns, until spinach is finely chopped. Transfer to large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in eggs and baking powder.
- 3Melt 2 tablespoons butter with 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet (preferably cast-iron) over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches, drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into skillet, using back of spoon to flatten latkes slightly. Cook until brown, about 2 minutes per side. Using slotted spatula, transfer latkes to paper towels to drain. Add more butter and oil to skillet as necessary and allow to get hot before adding more batter. Transfer latkes to plates. Serve, passing Feta-Yogurt Sauce separately.
- 4To make sauce:.
- 5Using fork, mash feta cheese in small bowl. Mix in remaining ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand 30 minutes to allow flavors to develop. (Sauce can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek-Herbed Spinach Latkes With Feta-Yogurt Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (1194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 48.0
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 35.0 mg
- Sodium 82.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: