Recipe by evelyn/athens
Great dinner or brunch dish. Make tomato gravy to serve alongside.
Top Review by Random Rachel
WOW! This was an amazing meal! I was hesitant to use so much cinnamon in a savory dish, but it was perfect. I used a handful of frozen spinach since I didn't have fresh on hand. We will definitely be enjoying this meal again! For ZWT9
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten to blend
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, cleaned and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 10 sheets phyllo pastry
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook about 10 minutes. Add meat and cook, breaking up meat, until all liquid evaporates and meat is browned. Add tomato, thyme and cinnamon. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, melt 3 tblsps butter in small saucepan over low heat. Add flour and stir 3 minutes. Pour in milk, increase heat to medium-high and stir until sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat and whisk in egg. Place over medium heat and continue stirring 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Melt remaining 1 tblsp butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and stir until golden-brown.
- Heat 2 tblsps olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and sauté just until it begins to release its fragrance. Blend in spinach, cover and cook just until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Stir sauce, pine nuts and cheese into meat. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Let cool. (this can be prepared up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated until ready to use).
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Lightly grease rimmed baking sheet.
- Cover work surface with towel. Place 2 filo sheets on towel with long edge nearest you. Brush with melted butter. Repeat 4 more times, brushing each double layer with butter. Spread cooled meat mixture on filo, leaving 1 ½ inch border. Arrange spinach in lengthwise strip along center of meat. Using towel as aid, roll filo up lengthwise. Transfer, seam side down, to baking sheet. Brush butter over top.
- Bake until crisp and golden, about 1 hour.
- Let stand 10-15 minutes before slicing. (can be assembled ahead to this point and refrigerated overnight before baking).