Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Posted for ZWT6 Greek Region. In Greek: Brizoles Mosharisies sta Karvouna. In Greece, butchers use the French style of cutting meat, and ribeyes are cut with the bone in, but boneless ribeyes work equally well. The recipe calls for a traditional beef marinade, and an oil and lemon basting sauce. Whether cooked on the grill or grilled in the oven, this is an easy and delicious dish. Using red drinking wine minimizes the acidity which toughens meat so it is highly recommended NOT to use red wine vinegar or lemon juice as that can create a tougher form of cooked meat.
- 4 rib eye steaks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon Greek oregano (Rigani)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 tablespoon red wine (NOT red wine vinegar and NOT cooking wine)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1 large lemon, cut into wedges
- Combine salt, pepper, and oregano in a small bowl. Whisk together the oil and wine and add to spices. Rub steaks on both sides with the mixture and place in a single layer in a shallow pan. Cover and marinate for at least one hour before cooking. (Steaks can be covered and marinated for up to 24 hours.).
- Mix 3 tablespoons of olive oil with the lemon juice or zest and brush the steaks just before cooking.
- Grill to taste over hot coals or Medium heat on a gas grill and brush with oil and lemon mixture a couple of times while cooking.
- Serve with lemon wedges on the side.
Yummy steak! I marinated it for about 3 hours and then grilled it on my stovetop grill pan. So simple and tasty. I really enjoyed the hint of lemon. Thanks Hokies for a nice dinner. Made for Went To The Market Tag.
Made a delightful steak. The lemon seemed a little strong to me so may omit zest next time.
I made the marinade for a large steak for the 3 of us. I omitted the salt. DH was ready to do the bbq and when I remembered he had to baste with the olive oil and zest, it was too late. The steak was already on the bbq. I'll probably try it again. It was very yummy. It gave the steak a nice flavor. Thanks Melissa :) Made for the Zwizzle Chicks of ZWT