Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love bread salads. This one is an unusual twist as instead of using chunks of rustic italian bread, I grill pita bread , slice it and then combine it with Greek salad musts. Yumm!
- 44.37 ml red wine vinegar
- 88.74 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 0.25 ml dried red pepper flakes
- 4.92 ml minced garlic
- 2.46 ml salt
- 78.07 ml crumbled feta cheese
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh oregano
- 2 (14 inch) pita breads, without pockets
- 2 large vine ripe tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 236.59 ml thinly sliced red onion
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and sliced crosswise
- 78.07 ml pitted kalamata olive, cut in half
- 59.14 ml coarsely chopped Italian parsley
- Preheat the grill.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, pepper flakes, garlic, salt, cheese and oregano. Set aside.
- Place the whole pitas on the hot grill and cook on each side for about 1 1/2 minutes, or until nice grill marks form and the pitas are toasty. REmove and cut each pita in half, and then into 1 inch strips.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, cucumber, olives, parsley and grilled pita strips to the bowl of vinaigrette and toss together well. Serve immediately.
Delicious salad! I had to use fresh basil leaves in place of the parsley, but this was an excellent way to use up the wonderful Roma tomatoes from my garden! The only thing I left out were the olives...sorry, they had gone bad in my fridge. Even the dressing tasted great on its own. I served this with the toasted pita bread on the side, but we all used it to mop up every last bit of the salad!