Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My sister-in-law taught me how to make lamb in this way. It must be marinated overnight for maximum flavor. This is our favorite Sunday lunch (we have it with oven-roasted potatoes and a big salad).
- 1 leg of lamb, about 5 to 6 pounds,bone removed
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped mint leaves
- Pound lamb until it is an even thickness.
- Place it in a shallow glass dish.
- Mix remaining ingredients until well-blended and pour over lamb.
- Turn meat in marinade, cover, and marinate in refrigerator overnight.
- Drain lamb and reserve marinade.
- Place meat on grill 6 inches above gray coals and grill for 40 to 45 minutes, brushing with marinade and turning every 10 minutes.
- Let lamb rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut meat into thin slices (lamb will be pink) and sprinkle with chopped fresh mint.
This has excellent flavor .. I pounded the meat very thinly (less than 1/4") and sliced into 1" strips .. after marinating I rolled the strips and threaded them in skewers which made a very nice presentation .. the meat was very tender and flavorful, my guests loved it .. thanks!
The recipe is easy. Everyone loved it, even my 22 month old Grand-daughter. Thanks.
Boy did this turn out great for Easter...my first time cooking a leg of lamb....was going to put on grill, but the griller got the flu and it was snowing here....so ended up putting it in the oven...still was perfect....thanks