Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
Aahhh another FAV from GOURMET MAGAZINE. PERFECT as a SUMMERTIME GRILL APPY! Have plenty of Crusty Bread to dip into any leftover dressing! NOTE: Number of servings vary on size per lb for shrimp.
- 3 lbs large shrimp (APPROX.7/8 SHRIMP PER LB)
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh oregano
- 3 lemons (Cut into 6 WEDGES)
- Clean and Devein Shrimp leaving shells in place.
- Mince and mash Garlic in a Mortar and Pestle. Place in Blender with Fresh Lemon Juice and Black Pepper until smooth. With motor running, add oil in a slow stream, blending till emulsified. Transfer dressing to a bowl and add in your chopped FRESH OREGANO.
- Prepare your GRILL (Moderate Heat for GAS and Direct Heat with Med-HOT Charcoal.
- Toss Shrimp with 1/4 Cup Dressing in a Large Bowl and marinate NO more than 15 minutes(Texture of Shrimp will change if marinated longer!).
- Brush Lemon wedges with some of remaining dressing and grill till marks appear (approx 5 minutes) then transfer to large patter.
- GRILL shrimp on lighlty oiled Grill Rack, turning over once till cooked through approx 8 minutes total Transfer to platter with Lemons as grilled ~ Top with remaining dressing!
Very good! I put the shrimp on skewers and put them under the broiler for two minutes on each side. I served on top of Kittencal's greek lemony rice with feta. I would highly recommend to anyone.
I made this for dinner tonight and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I used fresh prawns that had been shelled (21 of them), marinated them for five minutes, then cooked them on the stove top in two batches over med to high heat. For the sauce I threw the garlic cloves into the blender whole, added salt and pepper, the juice of 1 lemon and a little olive oil to start the blending. This worked out fine. I then added more oil until I had enough.
These are wonderful. The marinade is absolutely to our taste and it was outstanding as our salad dressing too. This will be a summertime staple in our house!