Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Thanks to LonghornMoma I'm posting this for all to try. A super easy & yummy way to make green beans. A twist on my Greek spinach. Hope you all enjoy! Can be made ahead. Serves 4 of us (but we like it a lot, lol) more like 6-8. Easily doubled. Time is a guess--start to finish is maybe 20-25 minutes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh green beans (steamed) or 29 ounces canned green beans, drained or 1 (16 ounce) package frozen green beans, cooked per pkg
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canof diced Italian tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup white pearl onions or 1⁄2 cup fine chopped red onions or 1⁄2 cup any onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese (or more)
- Cook your green beans fresh or frozen. If using canned skip this.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan, add the onions.
- Cook until soft about 5 minutes on low.
- Add everything but feta. If using canned green beans add now.
- Simmer on low until hot.
- Add feta.
- I've done this in the oven in a casserole dish, and in a foil packet on the grill. You're basically just heating everything through.
I have to admit, I didn't expect these to be as good as they are! They are so quick and easy to make. I used frozen green beans and chopped red onion. I loved them. Made for TYM Tag. Thanks for the great recipe.
A delicious and quick way to prepare frozen green beans. The combination of seasoning coupled with the tang of the cheese made this dish special. I drained off most of the juice from the tomatoes which were added the last few minutes of cooking the beans. The onion was minced dried onion and it worked beautifully The feta was sprinkled lightly over each individual serving. Thanks for posting.