Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
The ultimate showdown. My original recipe created after a satisfying glass of cream sherry and inspiration from the music of Duke Ellington. **Warning: salad uses raw egg.
- 2 pita pocket bread, baked
- 473.18 ml Baby Spinach
- 473.18 ml baby arugula
- 44.37 ml of fresh mint, minced (NOT dried)
- 158.51 ml kefalotiri or 158.51 ml mizithra cheese, grated
- 473.18 ml loose leaf lettuce, torn
- 59.14 ml Italian parsley, minced
- 14.79 ml fresh Greek oregano, minced
- 1 egg
- 118.29 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 14.79 ml white wine vinegar
- 4.92 ml ouzo, to taste (optional)
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 9.85 ml Dijon mustard
- 0.19 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2.46 ml anchovy paste
- 118.29 ml plain yogurt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Prepare the salad dressing. In small blender or using hand held immersion blender mix ingredients until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate until ready to use. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat the pita bread with a little bit of olive oil and bake for about 10-15 minutes or until browned and crispy. Set aside to cool then break up into bite size pieces. Set aside to cool.
- Wash lettuce and spinach, use a salad spinner to remove excess moisture and place in large salad bowl. In the salad bowl add the mint, all the cheese except for 2 tablespoons, parsley, oregano and the cooled pita "croutons".
- Toss the salad dressing with the salad ingredients. Garnish the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.