Recipe by COOKGIRl
The ultimate showdown. My original recipe created after a satisfying glass of cream sherry and inspiration from the music of Duke Ellington. **Warning: salad uses raw egg.
- 2 pita pocket bread, baked
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 3 tablespoons of fresh mint, minced (NOT dried)
- 2⁄3 cup kefalotiri or 2⁄3 cup mizithra cheese, grated
- 2 cups loose leaf lettuce, torn
- 1⁄4 cup Italian parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh Greek oregano, minced
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ouzo, to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 drops Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the salad dressing. In small blender or using hand held immersion blender mix ingredients until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate until ready to use. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat the pita bread with a little bit of olive oil and bake for about 10-15 minutes or until browned and crispy. Set aside to cool then break up into bite size pieces. Set aside to cool.
- Wash lettuce and spinach, use a salad spinner to remove excess moisture and place in large salad bowl. In the salad bowl add the mint, all the cheese except for 2 tablespoons, parsley, oregano and the cooled pita "croutons".
- Toss the salad dressing with the salad ingredients. Garnish the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.