Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A new twist on hamburger gravy, my whole family loved it!
- 3 lbs hamburger
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon
- 2 tablespoons all purpose Greek seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 cups water
- 8 ounces Fontina cheese, grated
- 8 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- Beef Mixture:.
- Put all ingredients in the Beef Mixture in the crock pot. If your beef is frozen cook on high 4-5 hours. Break ground beef up with a spatula or spoon and let it simmer on low while you make your cheese sauce.
- Cheese Sauce:.
- melt butter over medium high heat in a medium sauce pan.
- add flour and garlic stir well until it lightly browns.
- add water stirring constantly until it boils and thickens to a gravy constancy.
- add grated cheeses and stir well to blend.
- add cheese sauce to beef mixture and mix well.
- serve over biscuits, rice or pasta.
- For OAMC divide mixture into meal size portions and freeze in freezer bags, reheat in microwave or in sauce pan over low heat. You may need to add a little milk or water to get the right constancy. This made 3 meals for my family of 8.
Yum! Reading the other reviews, about blandness, I diced a yellow onion and added that to the meat, used homemade beef stock from the freezer rather than the bullion and water, increased the garlic and used some fresh oregano in addition to my dried herbs and hey! this came out very well indeed ! We also used milk in the sauce. DH requested to see this over pasta SOONEST ! ...it went with potatoes well too. This is a basic store cupboard recipe that you can throw together easily, is wonderful for those bulk cooking and anyone on a budget, so even though it's basic, I can see it going a long way! Do add a heap of spring onions too. I had fresh mince meat ( ground beef) did brown it first and our 4 serve quantity was ready in just over two hours. (my crockpot only has one setting) Please see my rating system: 4 excellent stars for the simple recipe that ends up tasting even better than the sum of it's parts. Thanks!
Very good. We did as the last reviewer suggested and use mostly milk instead of water. I found this slightly bland, so even though I never add salt to food, I did to this. Also, I didn't feel it was cheesy enough. This is probably due to personal preferance though - cheese overload. My house smelt sooooo yummy all day! I know freezing often brings out flavors, so I can't wait to try one of my freezer portions!
For the Greek seasoning, we used a blend Greek oregano, ground cumin, paprika, black pepper, minced garlic, and salt. This was very simple to put together, and we enjoyed it over biscuits for breakfast. However, we would suggest using milk for the cheese sauce in place of the water, as we feel that it diluted the flavor. Overall a nice recipe.