Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great on hot or cold seafoods and fried or boiled vegetables.
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 2 slices day-old white bread
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Pound garlic with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a mortar until smooth.
- Add mashed potatoes and continue to pound and stir with pestle.
- Soak bread (crusts removed)in cold water and squeeze dry.
- Add to potatoes and garlic, pounding and stirring until smooth.
- Gradually add olive oil, lemon juice and vinegar, stirring vigorously.
- When smooth and light, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill in a covered bowl before using.
- Variation: Replace bread with 1/2 cup ground almonds or walnuts, or use 1 1/2 cups of ground almonds or walnuts instead of the potatoes and bread.
- Blender method: Put all ingredients in a blender and blend at moderate speed until ingredients are pulverised. Sure beats all that pounding!
- Increase speed for a few seconds until light and smooth. Do not blend for too long for the mixture heats and the oil separates.
THE BEST ORIGINAL GREEK SKORDALIA!!! I picked Greekgal for my PAC Contest and decided to make her authentic Greek recipes! This is truly the BEST skordalia we have EVER tasted! It was great on my fried eggies. THANKS for sharing Chef GREEKGAL!