Adapted from Garlic, Garlic, Garlic: More than 200 Exceptional Recipes for the World's Most Indispensable Ingredient, by Linda and Fred Griffith. Cooking is time includes the time it takes to cool the cooked potatoes. Serve with Pita bread, celery, carrot, bell pepper, and fennel sticks for dipping
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large russet potatoes (peeled and cut into small, 1/2-to-1/4-inch cubes)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg yolk (optional, but makes a firmer dip) (optional)
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (plus more if needed)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- fresh ground white pepper (to taste)
- 1Cover potatoes with water in a 3-quart saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 2Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 3Drain, rinse with cold water and process through a ricer or mash thoroughly.
- 4Meanwhile, put garlic and salt in a large wooden bowl and pound with a pestle until thoroughly mashed.
- 5Gradually add potatoes and pound them with garlic.
- 6If mixture is still hot, let cool 15 minutes, then add egg yolk, if using, and vigorously mash or beat in with a wooden spoon.
- 7Alternating olive oil with lemon juice and vinegar, gradually add both to potato mixture, vigorously mashing or beating.
- 8Using a fork, add pepper, mixing briskly until very smooth.
- 9Mix in more olive oil, or even some water, a little at a time, if sauce is too thick to use as a dip.
- 10Spoon into a container and store, covered, in refrigerator. It will keep for about 1 week.
- 11Bring to room temperature several hours before serving.
- 12Spoon into a bowl and serve with fresh vegetables and pita for dipping.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Garlic Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 255.3
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 115.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar