Recipe by Greekgal
My mother made this a lot and we loved it!
Top Review by mlao77
I went to school in Montreal and there was this restaurant on St. Laurent called Mezze that served the BEST fried eggplant appetizer and tzatziki sauce I had ever had. Being so far from there now, this really satisfied my craving for just that. I loved the fritter batter (I added a pinch of cayenne and paprika to it) but I thinned it out with a couple tbsps of water. My eggplant cooked faster, more like 5 mins total. Thanks for posting this wonderful food memory!
- 1 lb eggplant
- olive oil (for frying)
- garlic sauce
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3⁄4 cup lukewarm water
Directions See How It's Made
- For Fritter Batter: Sift 1 cup plain flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl.
- Add 1 egg yolk, 1 tablespoon oil and 3/4 cup lukewarm water.
- Beat until smooth.
- Let stand for 10 minutes then fold in stiffly beaten egg white. Use immediately.
- Wash and dry eggplant. I place paper towels over and under the eggplant to soak up all the liquid. Just keep changing them for a while until they quit getting really wet.
- Cut into 1/4 inch slices and spread out on trays.
- Sprinkle with salt and leave for 1 hour.
- Pat dry with paper towels and coat with flour or fritter batter. I like the fritter batter.
- Shallow fry in hot oil until golden brown and crisp on each side - 10 minutes in all.
- Drain on paper towel and serve hot with Garlic Sauce (optional).