1/1 Photo of Greek Freighter Meat Pie
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Taken from The Complete Greek Cookbook. According to the author, Theresa Yianilos, you will most likely be served this meat pie on any Greek ship. Note: if using raw meat, use 1 lb and follow directions for raw meat - the ingredients list wouldn't accept both cooked and raw!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil or margerine)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups meat (cooked and chopped beef, lamb, veal or pork)
- 1 cup rice (or diced potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon spearmint, dried and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup feta cheese (or cottage cheese)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup pine nuts or 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 lb phyllo dough
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1Heat oil and fry onions until soft.
- 2If using raw meat and potatoes, brown for 5 minutes.
- 3Add 1 cup of hot water (2 cups water if using rice).
- 4Add rice, herbs and seasonings.
- 5Cover and cook 20 min until meat is cooked and potatoes or rice are soft.
- 6Remove from heat.
- 7Mix in cheese, egg and nuts (and cooked meat if you didn't use raw meat).
- 8Melt butter and oil in small pot.
- 9Oil a square or rectangular baking pan.
- 10Lay half of the sheets of filo, oiling lightly between each sheet.
- 11Spread on meat filling.
- 12Lay remaining filo sheets, oiling between sheets.
- 13Bake at 350 degrees F. for 1 hour.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Freighter Meat Pie
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 812.3
- Calories from Fat 446
- Total Fat 49.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.8 g
- Cholesterol 110.4 mg
- Sodium 818.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 17.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: