Recipe by COOKGIRl
I found this recipe last summer in one of my brother's cookbooks but I forget to write down which one. I will try to source it ASAP. The walnuts and dried fruit are my addition to the recipe. The dough was prepped in an ABM, too. I used a variety of imported olives from various sources including Greece, Spain, France, Morocco, Peru, etc. A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil on the still hot bread was so delicious!
Basic Yeast Bread
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 6 1⁄2-7 1⁄2 cups unbleached white flour, divided
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
Olive and Feta Mixture
- 1 cup kalamata olive, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1⁄2 lb feta, crumbled (8 ounces)
- 2⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped small
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, chopped (I used a mix of dried fruit including flame & golden raisins, currants, tart cherries & cranberries)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- coarse salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the BASIC YEAST BREAD DOUGH: Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Turn out the bread dough onto a lightly oiled work surface; divide in half.
- Keep the other half covered.
- Divide the one half of dough into 16 equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball. Cover with a towel and let rest 5 minutes.
- Flattern each ball of dough to 1/2" thickness.
- Place each ball 2" apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Whisk together the two eggs. Brush dough with the beaten eggs. Note: I skipped the egg wash for the test recipe.
- OLIVE AND FETA MIXTURE: In a non-reactive mixing bowl combine the kalamata olives, garlic, feta cheese, walnuts, dried fruit and olive oil.
- Divide half of the olive mixture into 16 equal portions. Garnish each dough ball with 1 portion of the olive mixture pressing the topping into the dough slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Cover with a tea towel; let rise 45 minutes. Repeat with the remaining half of dough.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a small ovenproof pan in the oven on the lowest rack.
- Sprinkle tops of dough with coarse salt, if desired. Note: I skipped the coarse salt because feta cheese is quite salty.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven. Carefully place 4-5 ice cubes in the small ovenproof pan then immediately close the oven door.
- Bake the bread 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- After removing from the oven, transfer the bread to a wire rack to cool.