Recipe by Lainey39
From Every Day with Rachael Ray.
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
As per usual, dear friend ~ you have the best salads...ever. I love this for so many ways. The only change I (accidentally) made was forgetting to put the grape leaves (rolled) into the photo. Double darn. Oh well, this is the exact type of salad that is typical for our "Greek Town" that has absolute authentic Greek salad. As in typical Greek salad, it is more the mixture of tomato, cucumber, peppers, celery, Greek-olives, pepperoncini, and Greek yogurt. This is exactly what a "Greek salad" should be and is. Just amazing, Lainey! Loved it, and will make again often. I was able to throw this together rather quickly....made the dressing in the morning. Cut and prepped in the afternoon, tossed dressing with veggies to marinate for an hour before devouring. Made for Photo Forum event! April 2010
- 4 pita bread rounds
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 0.25 ml cinnamon
- 4 vine-ripe tomatoes, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 seedless cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 celery ribs, from the heart thinly sliced at an angle
- 1 red bell peppers (seeded, quartered lengthwise, thinly sliced) or 1 green bell pepper (seeded, quartered lengthwise, thinly sliced)
- 236.59 ml flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- 236.59 ml greek-style plain yogurt
- 9.85 ml ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and peeled
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2.46-4.92 ml Tabasco sauce
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 340.19 g feta, crumbled
- 8 jarred pepperoncini peppers (hot peppers)
- 236.59 ml pitted kalamata olive
- 8 jarred grape leaves or 8 store-bought stuffed grape leaves, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Split the pitas open into 8 halves.
- Lay the bread out on your countertop, insides facing up.
- In a small bowl, mix together the paprika, thyme, oregano and cinnamon. Sprinkle the spices evenly over the split bread.
- Place the bread on an oven rack and toast until golden and crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and tear into jagged pieces about the size of tortilla chips and reserve.
- On a large serving platter, combine the tomatoes, half of the cucumber, and the onion, celery, bell pepper and parsley, season with salt and pepper.
- To a food processor, add the remaining cucumber, the yogurt, cumin, garlic, lemon juice and Tabasco sauce and a little salt.
- Process the ingredients, adding the olive oil in a thin stream until smooth; taste the dressing and adjust the seasonings.
- Arrange the pita crisps on the salad, then drizzle the dressing all over. Finish off your salad with a pile of the feta, pepperoncini and olives.
- Serve with the stuffed grape leave on the side.