Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This comes from a Frugal Gourmet cookbook. I'm posting it for ZWT 6. Greece Note: Add up to 1/2 lb. of your choice of shellfish.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 medium yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 (1 lb) canspeeled tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 4 cups water
- 1 lb whitefish boneless fillets
Any or all of the following
- clam, rinsed
- mussels, scrubbed clean and rinsed
- squid, cleaned and cut into 1/2-inch circles
- Heat a 6 quart heavy stockpot and add the oil, onion, and garlic. Saute until they are clear, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, except the seafood, and simmer, uncovered, until the sauce is rich and full-flavored, about 1/2 hour.
- Add the fish and shellfish in the order given, giving each variety a moment to cook. The clams will take longer than the squid.
- Serve in bowls with hearty bread and a salad.
This recipe was delicious. I improvised by adding two 6 ounce cans of spicy V-8 juice. I had some leftover that I used and I added medium shrimp.
Love this soup! I had forgotten about it until today. So glad you've posted this here! I will make some this weekend.
Made for the Greek Kid-Friendly challenge & I also was a big Jeff Smith fan way back when. This is so easy-to-make that my 9 yr-old assistant (Kata) proudly played a major role & 4 of us enjoyed the outcome. I made 2 sml chgs that I do not feel disturbed the heart of your recipe: I used fresh tomatoes & I added Old Bay as a pers pref. I used cod, baby shrimp & lump crabmeat for the seafood. Served it w/crusty rolls & it was great! Thx for sharing this recipe w/us & Kata says thx too. :-)