Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
We had this recipe as a side dish for grilled meat, instead of over rice. The original recipe says it serves 4 people, I guess they forgot to mention that those 4 people were GIANTS. I change the servings to 6-8 because it does make a lot.
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 red onions, diced
- 1 eggplant, cut into small cubes
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 potato, cut into small cubes
- 6 garlic cloves, minced (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 28 ounces tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 8 ounces fava beans, cooked
- 24 kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- HEAT 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan. COOK the onions for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- ADD the red pepper, eggplant and zucchini and cook for 5 minutes, then add the potato, garlic and oregano and cook for 1 minute. ADD the tomatoes, stock, salt and pepper, stir well to combine and bring to a boil.
- REDUCE the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- WHILE the stew simmers, cook the rice. ADD the cooked, peeled fava beans, parsley and olives to the stew and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- REMOVE from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- SERVE over rice with crumbled feta cheese on top (alternatively serve with bulgur or crusty bread instead of rice).