Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This hearty bean and vegetable soup is both colorful and delicious. The original recipe was found at EatGreekTonight.com. Posted for ZWT #6--2010. Preparation time does NOT include overnight soaking of the beans.
- 2 1⁄4 cups dried navy beans (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups carrots (sliced in rounds)
- 2 cups celery (chopped in 1 inch pieces)
- 2 cups celery leaves (chopped coarsely)
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium tomatoes (finely chopped)
- Soak the bean in water overnight.
- Drain beans then place in a large pot with 7 cups of cold water.
- Add all the veggies and cook for 1 hour or until everything is tender.
- Add the olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Cook for another 10- 15 minutes.
This was good. DH liked it. I did use some homemade chicken broth but mostly water & sea salt. Made for Family Picks, ZWT6 Greece/Cyprus region, for my team, The Ya Ya Cookerhood.
Nice, filling soup. I did reduce the amount of oil greatly and made only half a batch. I used beans that I had cooked already, so I sauteed the vegetables in the oil first until tender and then I added the beans. Thank you for posting! Made for Swizzle Chicks and ZWT6.
I halved the recipe for a good 4-6 servings of rich, thick soup. I like how it calls specifically for celery leaves, as I hate to waste them! The seasonings look sparse in this. However, I found the simple combination of navy beans, vegetables and olive oil give it a very pleasant flavour indeed. I did cut the EVOO back to just a couple tablespoons, since its taste is distinctive enough for me at that amount. I'm already looking forward to leftovers, and will surely make this back at university. Thanks for posting! - a ZWT 6 review.