Recipe by **Jubes**
A simple cos lettuce salad, tossed with dill and toasted pine nuts. Serves 4- 6 people. For a gluten free diet- check the vinegar is GF.
Top Review by diner524
Delicious salad despite being very basic and simple!! We have a chain restaurant here in Florida called "Bonefish Grill" and their house salad includes pine nuts and that is where I found I love toasted pine nuts in salads, so good, definitely don't skip them!!! I wasn't sure what Cos lettuce was so I clicked on the highlight and found: it's said to have originated on the Aegean island of Cos, romaine is also called Cos lettuce, learn something new everyday, lol!!! Thanks for sharing a great salad recipe. Made for ZWT9.
- 3 cos lettuce, hearts washed and finely shredded
- 100 g pine nuts, toasted
- 6 green shallots, thinly sliced (green onions)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh dill sprig
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- To toast the pine nuts- use a non-stick frypan and medium heat. Toss the pine nuts until you can see the colour changing and can smell them toasting. Be careful not to burn them. Cool.
- Finely shred the lettuce. Add the cooled pine nuts, shallots and dill. Toss to combine and mix.
- Whisk together the oil and vinegar.Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing over the lettuce salad and serve immediately.