Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I love this recipe, as does my family. It can be served with pasta, but usually I serve it as a stand alone. This recipe came from the internet, but I can't seem to remember where I got it. If you have picky eaters who will not eat onions, half the onions, then quarter them so the pieces are large enough to pick out (though my two year old thinks they are noodles in this recipe). They are very important in the flavoring.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb stewing beef
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Heat oil in large stewing pot.
- Add meat.
- Brown the meat slightly on all sides.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Bring stew to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer two hours (or longer for a thicker sauce).
Made as directed except the following changes: I added a little brown sugar to round out the flavor I cooked it longer because my meat was extra lean and tough Served over spaghetti Thanks for sharing. This stew was very easy and comforting on this snowy day.
Very similar to the Crock Pot Stiffado also on Recipe Zaar.
I made this for our Egyptian recipe week. I served it with noodles, It was good, but the seasoning was just a little overpowering for the kids, I would cut in half.