Recipe by Tandy Higgins
Maxine's favorite. Main dish with egg plant feta cheese and a pie crust. Great main meal
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large aubergine, 5 cups sliced (eggplant)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 6 ounces fresh spinach, washed
- 4 eggs
- 3 ounces reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup fat-free parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons plain fat-free yogurt (plain)
- 6 tablespoons skim milk
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake pie crust according to direction on pkg.
- To make the filling, heat 3 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the aubergine slices for 6-8 minutes on each side until golden. You may need to add a little more olive oil at first, but this will be released as the flesh softens. Lift out the aubergine slices and drain on a plate covered with a few layers of kitchen paper.
- Add the onion and garlic to the oil remaining in the pan and fry over a gentle heat for 4-5 minutes until soft, adding a little extra oil if necessary.
- Chop the spinach finely, by hand or in a food processor. Beat the egg in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the spinach, crumbled feta, Parmesan, yogurt, milk and the onion mixture to the eggs. Season well with salt and pepper and stir thoroughly.
- Spread the cooked rice in an even layer over the base of the pastry case. Reserve about 8 aubergine slices - save the best ones as these will be placed over the top - and arrange the rest in an even layer over the rice.
- Spoon the spinach and feta mixture over the aubergines and place the reserved slices of aubergine on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve warm or cold, with a mixed salad.