Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a very easy and tasty Greek recipe.
- 2 small eggplants
- 1 cup plain yogurt, Greek if you can get it
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 6 tablespoons chopped kalamata olives, if you wish you can use the same amount of chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1⁄2 small red onion, chopped fine
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Prick eggplant once with a knife.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast until the skin is wrinkled and eggplant has collapsed, about one hour.
- Remove and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Slit eggplant open length wise and scrape pulp out and finely chop.
- Place into a large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and chill for several hours.
- Serve with pita toasts.
Nannie Jo, this is a delightful recipe! I just made it with my (tiny) crop of "Hansel" eggplants, and basil from my porch pot. Threw in some fresh oregano as well. I will serve it to company this weekend with pride...IF, that is, I don't eat it all up before tomorrow night!