Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
Oh, I love this dessert so! Serve it with a well roasted coffee to balance the creamy, crispy sweetness with deep rich brew. Mmmm, especially satisfying now cold weather is on the way. Gratefully from the Yahoo gourmet-recipes-from-around-the-world.
- Scald milk in a large saucepan; stir in 4 tablespoons butter and sugar. Gradually add farina, stirring constantly, and bring mixture slowly to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat eggs in a bowl until they are fluffy and a light yellow. Slowly stir hot farina mixture into egg mixture. Add vanilla extract. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a 9 x 12-inch baking pan with 1 sheet of phyllo with some of it hanging over the edge of the pan. Brush with butter. Be sure to keep unused phyllo pastry covered with plastic wrap or a damp towel. Layer 5 more sheets of buttered phyllo in the pan so that bottom and sides are completely covered.
- Pour in cooled custard.
- Cover with 1 sheet of phyllo; brush with butter. Layer 5 more individually buttered sheets of phyllo on top, and fold in overhang.
- With a sharp knife, score through top layers of phyllo, marking off 2 1/4-inch squares or diamond shapes. Bake for 10 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 45 minutes, or until golden.
You forgot an important detail... Must make a syrup. Sugar water & lemon juice. Otherwise a nice recipe