Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 quart milk
- 16 ounces phyllo pastry sheets
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 lb sweet melted butter
- 1⁄3 cup water
- powdered sugar
- Beat eggs in saucepan; add sugar and blend.
- Gradually add milk and cook over medium heat, occasionally stirring.
- Combine cornstarch and water until dissolved.
- Slowly add to milk mixture as it heats, but before it boils.
- Cook until mixture thickens and comes to a hard boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 1/4 cup butter and vanilla.
- Cut pastry sheets in to thirds and cover pastry with hot melted butter.
- Place about 1 tablespoon custard filling at bottom left corner of strip and fold the right bottom corner over it into a triangle.
- Continue folding back and forth into a triangle and cover with butter to end of strip.
- Place triangles, cut side down, on greased cookie sheet.
- Brush tops with melted butter and bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar while warm.