I'm getting fond of chopped salads--they're so much more toddler-friendly than salads with large pieces. I made this chopped version of one of our favorite salads to accompany a pan of spanokopita for dinner tonight. Yum! Cooking time is marinating time.
- 1 English cucumber, seeded, cut into eights lengthwise, and sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 yellow sweet bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pitted kalamata olive, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup vinaigrette dressing (I like to use Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves or 1⁄2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, chopped into small bite-sized pieces
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- additional vinaigrette dressing, if desired
- Combine cucumber, tomatoes, onion, pepper, and olives in a leak-proof container or zip-lock baggie. Add dressing, oregano, and pepper to taste; shake to combine. Marinate at least 20 minutes (may be made up to 12 hours ahead).
- Divide chopped lettuce among 4 salad bowls or plates.
- Top with equal portions of the marinated vegetables.
- Divide the avocado into four portions and sprinkle over the salad.
- Sprinkle Feta cheese to taste over all.
- Add more dressing to taste, if desired.