Recipe by MarieRynr
The delicious combination of tomato, oregano and feta turn this simple chicken dish into something special. Plan ahead as it needs to marinate for several hours.
Top Review by DeeCooks
Very good, though I cheated and used some canned diced tomatoes and the second time didn't bother marinating. (And we think it was just as good!) I served it with a lemon-celery pilaf and even my four year old gobbled it up and had it for lunch the next day!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 grated lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano (plus more for garnish)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 plum tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup pitted Greek olive
- 6 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips, plus more for garnish
- 2 ounces feta cheese, cut into 1/4 inch cubes (about 1/2 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the chicken breasts under cool water, pat dry and place in a shallow glass baking dish.
- Stir the lemon zest, juice, wine, oregano, salt and pepper together and pour over the chicken, rubbing it into all sides.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight. Bring to room temperature before cooking.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet, until butter melts and is sizzling. Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade, RESERVING the marinade to make the sauce. Brown the chicken in the hot skillet, turning only once, about 4 to 5 minutes per side, until lightly browned on both sides. Transfer to a platter, loosely cover and keep warm while you prepare the sauce.
- Add the onion and tomato to the pan you cooked the chicken in.Reduce the heat and cook, stirring frequently, 2 to 3 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent and the tomatoes soften and release liquid. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the reserved marinade and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until the liquid has reduced by half. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Return the chicken to the skillet with the sauce. Add the olives and basil and simmer on low for 5 to 8 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and feels firm to the touch.
- Transfer to a hot platter or individual plates. Spoon sauce over each breast and scatter with the feta cubes. Garnish with additional fresh basil and oregano leaves. Serve warm.