Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
You have to be a lover of feta cheese for this dish, this is a really easy chicken dish with lots of flavor. Leave the skin on the chicken for extra flavor on for this, and serve this over cooked noodles. This recipe can be doubled if desired. Serve this with my Greek salad #66596.
Top Review by justmeterri
This is AWESOME! I made it for dinner last night. I did not include the olives, but stayed true to the rest of the recipe! I brought left overs to work today and asked 3 of my co-workers to taste it. Needless to say, I printed out the recipe for them! They loved it also! Thanks for sharing this recipe Kitten!
- 2 -4 tablespoons oil (more if needed)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (or use 3 shallots, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (optional)
- 2 -4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 4 chicken thighs (with leg attached, or use chicken breasts with skin on)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes (can use a bit more than 2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine (if using chicken broth use 1 cup) or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth (if using chicken broth use 1 cup)
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat (I use my electric skillet for this).
- Add in onions or shallots, garlic (if using) red pepper flakes (if using) oregano and basil; saute for about 5 minutes.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then add in the chicken, skin side down to the skillet; brown to 5 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over with tongs and add in the crushed tomatoes and wine (or broth if using) bring to a simmer; cover the skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the chicken is cooked through (about 25 minutes).
- Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Boil the sauce over high heat for about 5 minutes to thicken.
- Mix in cheese and olives and simmer until heated through (about 5-6 minutes).
- Serve with hot cooked noodles.