Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A huge favorite at my house! You can use more oregano if desired. I add in a tablespoons of fresh garlic on top of the onions.
Top Review by louisep71
EASY!!! This time when I made it I didn't brown the chicken, just threw the chicken breasts in the 9X13 still frozen. Then because the chicken was frozen(with that water glaze still on it), I decreased the amount of water to 1/2 cup and still used 1 tsp chicken bouillon powder. It was WONDERFUL! We love you, Kittencal!
- 8 -10 chicken pieces
- 5 -7 large potatoes, peeled, then cut into four pieces lenghwise (I like to use Yukon gold or russets)
- 3 -5 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup broth
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 2⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice (you can use a little less lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (rubbed between your fingers to release the flavors)
- 1 lb button mushroom (or to taste, make certain that the mushrooms are small)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Sprinkle the onion slices in the bottom of a large roasting pan.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper, then brown the chicken in a large skillet on both sides for about 6 minutes on each side; place on top of the onion slices along with potatoes in the roasting pan.
- Pour the chicken stock or broth around the browned chicken pieces.
- Then sprinkle oregano all over in the roasting pan.
- In a bowl mix together olive oil, garlic lemon juice and thyme.
- Pour over and around the chicken, mixing together slightly with a wooden spoon to combine with the broth.
- Add in the small button mushrooms around the chicken.
- Cover and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes.
- Uncover, mix juices slighty and baste the chicken with a wooden spoon, then return to oven (uncovered) and bake for about 20 minutes more or until the chicken is cooked through.
- *NOTE* if you find that the potatoes are done before the chicken, just remove to a bowl.