Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This makes a great lunch, plan ahead, the chicken mixture has to stay in the fridge for 2 or more hours. Prep time includes chilling time.
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts (about 12-13 ounces)
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced small
- 1⁄3 cup feta cheese, crumbled (or more if desired)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons sliced and pitted kalamata olives (or more if desired)
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt (sour cream may be substituted)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 -5 fresh minced garlic cloves (or to suit taste)
- 4 pita bread, cut in half (use the 6-inch pitas)
- 8 lettuce leaves (Boston is best)
- salt and pepper (optional)
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine the yogurt or sour cream, mayo, oregano and the mimced garlic in a small bowl.
- Pour the yogurt mixture over the chicken mixture; toss well.
- Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 2 or more hours.
- Line each pita half with a lettuce leaf, and top with 1/2 cup chicken mixture.
yummmmm. so easy and perfect for a cool lunch or supper on a hot night! I grilled my chicken w/olive oil, sea salt & pepper. We made it the night before, then ate it on mutli-grain flatbreads w/tomato & lettuce. Adding it to my summer menu!
Great recipe! I brought this to our monthly "Healthy" carry-ins at work this week. I made it lower in fat and calories by using low fat mayonnaise and fat free sour cream. Instead of serving on pita bread, I wrapped in lettuce leaves. This reduced the calorie count down to 103 calories per wrap. It was a big success. Got lots of compliments and passed out many copies of the recipe. Thanks, Kittencal - I can always count on you for terrific recipes!