1/1 Photo of Greek Chicken Meatloaf With Tzatziki Sauce
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Caroline Cooks's Note:
The low-cal meatloaf is a different approach to a Greek dinner. Add other herbs of your choice, if desired. BTW, are the left-overs ever so delish in a pita with the sauce. Makes me drool in anticipation! (I always double the sauce for the Gyros) Adapted from Southern Living.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup vidalia onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 1/2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs (Panko, if available)
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons mediterranean oregano flakes
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (can sub with lemon juice)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 2Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- 3Heat skillet over med-high heat, add oil.
- 4Sauté onion, peppers celery to soften, about 5 minutes.
- 5Add garlic; cook for 2 minutes to release flavor.
- 6Set aside.
- 7In large mixing bowl, stir together chicken and next 8 ingredients plus sauté veggies.
- 8Mix until just combined; too much mixing toughens meat.
- 9Spray a 9” loaf pan with cooking spray.
- 10Spread mixture into the pan, making sure that there are no air spaces in mixture.
- 11Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in center register 165F degrees.
- 12Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- 14Mix all ingredients and chill at least 2 hours to blend flavors. Makes 1 cup.
- 16Using favorite pita round, cut in half and cut for pita pocket, if needed. Slather lots of sauce inside pita. Slice meatloaf or cut into 1" cubes. Insert about 1/4 cup meatloaf, lettuce, sliced tomatoes and sliced cucumber (optional) -- ENJOY!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Chicken Meatloaf With Tzatziki Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 339.8
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 192.1 mg
- Sodium 265.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 38.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt & freshly ground black pepper