Recipe by Caroline Cooks
The low-cal meatloaf is a different approach to a Greek dinner. Add other herbs of your choice, if desired. BTW, are the left-overs ever so delish in a pita with the sauce. Makes me drool in anticipation! (I always double the sauce for the Gyros) Adapted from Southern Living.
Top Review by Diane R
We made the loaf and sauce exactly as written... and had it as gyros. The loaf has great flavor, acccepting that the texture in your gyros will be different! For the sauce, I used yogurt, it has good flavor, but we didn't care for the texture of grated cucumbers... I'd make this again but dice the cucumbers in the sauce. Overall easy to prepare, excellent step by step directions, flavorful and one I will likely repeat! TY for posting it!
- 1⁄2 cup vidalia onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 1⁄2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs (Panko, if available)
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons mediterranean oregano flakes
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (can sub with lemon juice)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, peeled and grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dry dill weed or 3 teaspoons fresh dill weed, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard (optional)
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream or 1 cup plain yogurt
- finely chopped mint, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Heat skillet over med-high heat, add oil.
- Sauté onion, peppers celery to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook for 2 minutes to release flavor.
- Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, stir together chicken and next 8 ingredients plus sauté veggies.
- Mix until just combined; too much mixing toughens meat.
- Spray a 9” loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Spread mixture into the pan, making sure that there are no air spaces in mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in center register 165F degrees.
- Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Mix all ingredients and chill at least 2 hours to blend flavors. Makes 1 cup.
- Using favorite pita round, cut in half and cut for pita pocket, if needed. Slather lots of sauce inside pita. Slice meatloaf or cut into 1" cubes. Insert about 1/4 cup meatloaf, lettuce, sliced tomatoes and sliced cucumber (optional) -- ENJOY!