Cook1 hr 10 mins
The low-cal meatloaf is a different approach to a Greek dinner. Add other herbs of your choice, if desired. BTW, are the left-overs ever so delish in a pita with the sauce. Makes me drool in anticipation! (I always double the sauce for the Gyros) Adapted from Southern Living.
- 1⁄2 cup vidalia onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 1⁄2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs (Panko, if available)
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons mediterranean oregano flakes
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest (can sub with lemon juice)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, peeled and grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dry dill weed or 3 teaspoons fresh dill weed, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard (optional)
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream or 1 cup plain yogurt
- finely chopped mint, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Heat skillet over med-high heat, add oil.
- Sauté onion, peppers celery to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook for 2 minutes to release flavor.
- Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, stir together chicken and next 8 ingredients plus sauté veggies.
- Mix until just combined; too much mixing toughens meat.
- Spray a 9” loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Spread mixture into the pan, making sure that there are no air spaces in mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in center register 165F degrees.
- Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Mix all ingredients and chill at least 2 hours to blend flavors. Makes 1 cup.
- Using favorite pita round, cut in half and cut for pita pocket, if needed. Slather lots of sauce inside pita. Slice meatloaf or cut into 1" cubes. Insert about 1/4 cup meatloaf, lettuce, sliced tomatoes and sliced cucumber (optional) -- ENJOY!