Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of my favorite low-carb dishes. If you want to go more low fat than low carb, substitute low-fat yogurt for the heavy cream.
- 4 medium plum tomatoes, cut in 1/4-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olive, pitted and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 -4 teaspoons greek herbs, to taste (ground fennel, oregano, crushed dried mint leaves, thyme)
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place tomatoes, onions, and olives in a bowl. Season with salt, pepper, herbs, and a dash of cinnamon; drizzle with olive oil and toss to distribute evenly.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the crumbled feta, 1/4 cup of the grated Parmesan cheese, and 1/2 cup of the tomato mixture in separate dishes; set aside.
- Combine eggs, cream, crumbled feta, and Parmesan cheese in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer or wire whisk until blended.
- Add the drained spinach and tomato mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into a greased 3-quart casserole dish.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, and herbs; place on top of spinach.
- Top with reserved tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle with reserved feta and Parmesan.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until chicken is done.
- Let sit about 10 minutes before serving.
FAIRLY good flavor, but I was disappointed in the texture. It was almost like a souffle. Very eggy. Could be better with more cream as a sauce.