Recipe by Crabbycakes
I learned how to prepare this when I worked with a Greek chef.
Top Review by Meowser
Loved, loved, loved this recipe!! My family raved about it. I made no changes, I used Russet potatoes and I ended up cooking it about an hour at 325 and then upped it to 350 for another half an hour. I kept it covered until the last 5 min, took the lid off and broiled it a little to crisp it up. It was just gorgeous and the potatoes were awesome. I thought they'd be greasy, with the olive oil and the chicken grease, but I was wrong, they were perfect and actually the best part of the meal. Thanks so much for this recipe, it's a keeper!!
- 1 whole chicken
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut in quarters
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 fresh lemons, juice of
- 4 cloves garlic, 2 cut in slivers and 2 minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pierce small slits in the chicken skin and insert garlic slivers all around chicken.
- Place in roasting pan.
- Arrange potato quarters around chicken.
- Pour olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper over all.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes then uncovered for about 30 minutes,depending on size of your chicken.
- Baste every so often to keep moist.
- potatoes are slightly browned when done.