Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I learned how to prepare this when I worked with a Greek chef.
- 1 whole chicken
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut in quarters
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 fresh lemons, juice of
- 4 cloves garlic, 2 cut in slivers and 2 minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pierce small slits in the chicken skin and insert garlic slivers all around chicken.
- Place in roasting pan.
- Arrange potato quarters around chicken.
- Pour olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper over all.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes then uncovered for about 30 minutes,depending on size of your chicken.
- Baste every so often to keep moist.
- potatoes are slightly browned when done.
Loved, loved, loved this recipe!! My family raved about it. I made no changes, I used Russet potatoes and I ended up cooking it about an hour at 325 and then upped it to 350 for another half an hour. I kept it covered until the last 5 min, took the lid off and broiled it a little to crisp it up. It was just gorgeous and the potatoes were awesome. I thought they'd be greasy, with the olive oil and the chicken grease, but I was wrong, they were perfect and actually the best part of the meal. Thanks so much for this recipe, it's a keeper!!
I am not sure how long a whole chicken would take to cook, but the chicken breasts I used were definitely done. I used a lot less oil and fresh oregano. We added extra lemon at the table since the lemon was subtle. Good one pot dish!
Great and simple recipe. Made no changes. Everyone loved this. Thank you