Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A twist on cheese sauce for cauliflower. Nice tangy taste of feta and richness of eggs. NOTE: I re-wrote the instructions more clearly. There is NO hot sauce in this, as mentioned by one reviewer. It called for whisking 1/2 cup OF THE HOT CHEESE sauce, NOT 1/2 cup hot sauce. :)
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 59.14 ml butter
- 59.14 ml flour
- 473.18 ml milk
- 236.59 ml feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- Wash and separate cauliflower into florets and cook in a large saucepan in boiling water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and arrange in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a saucepan, melt butter; add flour and stir over high heat until browned slightly. Add milk and cook, stirring, until thickened. Add cheese; cook until cheese is melted.
- Slightly beat eggs in small bowl. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the hot cheese sauce into eggs, to temper.
- Whisk egg mixture gradually into the remaining cheese sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over cauliflower and sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 15 minutes, until bubbly.
The only change I made was to add a little chopped fresh dill to the sauce. This was very, very good. For us cauliflower lovers, this is a winner. Thanks for posting.
Cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables and I'm happy to be able to add this to my go-to recipes. Next time I think I might add a little more spice such as cayenne maybe. Tonight was veggie night and this casserole made a nice contribution to the meal. Made for ZWT9, July, 2013.
hi mikekey, love your icon! What shall I say - I am now a feta cheese lover! It was always replaced because I didn't like it but no more! It was wonderful and creamy; omitted the salt & pepper & used crushed red pepper flakes and chopped flat leaf parsle for color. Thanks so much for posting. Posted for "Around The World" Diane:)