Recipe by Alskann
I found this in an old international cookbook I have. The ground beef can be substitute for any other ground meat. Posting for ZWT4.
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 118.29 ml romano cheese, finely grated
- 907.18 g ground beef
- 59.14 ml tomato sauce
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 88.74 ml butter
- 78.07 ml tomato paste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 453.59 g macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- 236.59 ml coarse breadcrumbs
- 118.29 ml white wine (can substitute white grape juice)
- 59.14 ml melted butter
- 59.14 ml fine breadcrumbs
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 7.39 ml salt
- 1 tomatoes, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brown beef and onions in butter.
- Slowly, add tomato paste, wine, spices and diced tomatoes.
- Simmer 10 minutes; let cool.
- Mix in the egg and fine bread crumbs.
- Mix together parmesan and romano cheeses; set aside.
- Butter a large casserole dish. Cover the bottom with coarse bread crumbs.
- Layer half the macaroni on top of the bread crumbs and cover with 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture.
- Top this layer with the beef mixture.
- Top with half of the remaining cheese mixture then layer the remaining macaroni.
- Top with tomato sauce and remaining cheese mixture.
- Top it all with remaining bread crumbs.
- Pour melted butter evenly over all.
- Bake 30 minutes in 400F degree oven.