Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this in an old international cookbook I have. The ground beef can be substitute for any other ground meat. Posting for ZWT4.
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, finely grated
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lb macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup coarse breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (can substitute white grape juice)
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brown beef and onions in butter.
- Slowly, add tomato paste, wine, spices and diced tomatoes.
- Simmer 10 minutes; let cool.
- Mix in the egg and fine bread crumbs.
- Mix together parmesan and romano cheeses; set aside.
- Butter a large casserole dish. Cover the bottom with coarse bread crumbs.
- Layer half the macaroni on top of the bread crumbs and cover with 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture.
- Top this layer with the beef mixture.
- Top with half of the remaining cheese mixture then layer the remaining macaroni.
- Top with tomato sauce and remaining cheese mixture.
- Top it all with remaining bread crumbs.
- Pour melted butter evenly over all.
- Bake 30 minutes in 400F degree oven.
This smelled amazing cooking and I just loved it. It's different for a weeknight ground beef meal and the spices really make everyone wonder what in the world is in it.
Very easy, tasty recipe. Comes together in no time with simple ingredients. Work night friendly! My family enjoyed this - my only regret is I would have liked to use a deeper dish and more cheese(I love cheese). I did use a bit more sauce and paste than called for - I went ahead and used my whole 6oz paste and 15oz sauce. Other than that made as directed. **Made for ZWT4**