1/2 Photos of Greek Casserole
I found this in an old international cookbook I have. The ground beef can be substitute for any other ground meat. Posting for ZWT4.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1/2 cup romano cheese, finely grated
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lb macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup coarse breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup white wine (can substitute white grape juice)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Brown beef and onions in butter.
- 3Slowly, add tomato paste, wine, spices and diced tomatoes.
- 4Simmer 10 minutes; let cool.
- 5Mix in the egg and fine bread crumbs.
- 6Mix together parmesan and romano cheeses; set aside.
- 7Butter a large casserole dish. Cover the bottom with coarse bread crumbs.
- 8Layer half the macaroni on top of the bread crumbs and cover with 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture.
- 9Top this layer with the beef mixture.
- 10Top with half of the remaining cheese mixture then layer the remaining macaroni.
- 11Top with tomato sauce and remaining cheese mixture.
- 12Top it all with remaining bread crumbs.
- 13Pour melted butter evenly over all.
- 14Bake 30 minutes in 400F degree oven.
Browse Our Top Greek Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1034.2
- Calories from Fat 474
- Total Fat 52.7 g
- Saturated Fat 26.5 g
- Cholesterol 215.9 mg
- Sodium 1523.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 52.7 g