Recipe by ChaCha & Junior
From Cooking Light Issue 4/06. EVERYONE we're shared this with LOVES it. Great meal for us busy folks since it gets better the longer it sits.
Top Review by MrsDoty
Lots of Textures! Lot's of flavors the first night, with a subtle melding the second night. If you make the bulgar while eating breakfast, and use leftover chicken the salad comes together quickly when you get home from work. You can leave the grain on your counter all day in a covered bowl,and it's ready to go when you get home. This will become a permanent entry in my personal cookbook.
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups bulgur, uncooked
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups cooked chicken
- 1 1⁄4 cups cucumbers, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces black olives, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine water, bulgur, 1/4 cup lemon juice & 1/2 tsp salt in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes or till all liquid is absorbed (if not using bulgur, you will need to adjust cooking for the grain being used). Uncover and cool to room temperature.
- Combine 1/8 cup lemon juice, 1/2 tsp salt and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; toss to combine.
- Add cooled bulgur to mixture; toss well to combine. Cover and chill.