Recipe by English_Rose
Cooked in the Greek manner, this slow-braised squid becomes tender and delicious.
- olive oil, for frying
- 2 white onions, sliced into rings
- 3 celery ribs, thickly sliced diagonally
- 2 fennel bulbs, coarsely sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed, toasted and ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed, toasted and ground
- 2 red chilies, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 cups fish stock
- 2 oranges, juice and zest of
- 6 squid, cleaned, thick-cut into 1in squares
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, coarsely chopped
- ciabatta, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 275°F
- Heat a little olive oil in a heavy-based ovenproof casserole and sweat the onions, celery and fennel until softened but not brown. Stir in the ground spices, chili to taste and the tomatoes.
- Add the wine, fish stock, orange juice and zest, then stir in the chopped squid.
- Cover and bake for about 2 hours until tender. Stir through some of the chopped cilantro.
- Serve in big bowls, sprinkled with remaining coriander and accompanied by lots of fresh ciabatta to mop up the juice.