Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Chicken braised in wine and spices, serve with pasta of your choice and top with grated cheese, Greek salad on the side - delicious.
- 2 kg chicken, organic if possible
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pieces cinnamon bark
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- Cut chicken into serving pieces and wipe dry.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan and brown chicken on all sides. remove when browned.
- Reduce heat and add onion and garlic, fry gently until transparent, add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pan, cover and simmer gently for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Remove bay leaf and cinnamon bark and serve.
Heavenly aroma! Delicious! Divine sauce. I made this based on Chef#28636's recommendation for Top Favorites of 2008 Game. I substituted ketchup for the tomato paste as I did not have a tube of it and subbed in 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon for the cinnamon bark. The size of the chicken is important, I cut mine too small and think the chicken itself was dry b/c of that. Now I think I should have left the breasts alone and not cut them up smaller. Served ours over noodles with salad, and Recipe#280877. Thanks lindseylcw for sharing.
This is sooo good! DH and I loved the light yet complex flavors that had infused the chicken. We served it with angel hair pasta to catch the wonderful pan juices. The cooking time and method produced moist and tender chicken breasts. I must admit, I was a bit nervous about putting cinnamon bark into the pot but am so glad I followed your instructions!! I'll be throwing cinnamon bark into the pot again :) Thanks lindseylcw!