Recipe by That is Dr House to you
I tried searching Cooking Light for this and the search didn't yield any results. So I did a google search for the same recipe. Up popped the Cooking Light one. :? So it's here because it isn't going anywhere... I am tired of misplacing it.
Top Review by Jean R
Don't be put off by the three star rating - give this dish a try. It's easy to make and is loaded with tasty, healthy greens. I found the flavors to be a little too understated for our tastes, which is why I gave it three stars. It does provide a good base for improvisation. I added the juice of one lemon and doubled the feta cheese to bring the flavors up. You might also want to boost the garlic to five or six cloves and add more tomotoes. Or try some southern flavors, omitting the feta and adding bacon and hot sauce.
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 cups torn swiss chard
- 6 cups Baby Spinach
- 6 cups trimmed arugula
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 14 1⁄2 ounces petite diced tomatoes, see note
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- If using canned diced tomatoes make it undrained.
- Using uncooked black eyed peas. Sort and wash peas. Place peas in a large saucepan and cover with water to 2 inches above peas.
- You are going to do a modified quick soak of sorts. Bring to a boil then drain. Return peas to pan and cover again with water to 2 inches above peas. Bring to a boil but this time reduce heat to medium and cook 30 minutes or just until tender. Drain.
- Saute the onion, celery, and garlic in the olive over med high heat. Note you can omit the oil completely if you want to save on fat. Use broth or water or juice instead. Cok 6 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. IF using liquid instead of oil it will require more attention and stirring.
- Stir in the chard, spinach, arugula, salt, pepper, and tomatoes. If using liquid add more if needed. Cover and cook 20 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in peas; cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Stir in cheese; cook 5 minutes or until cheese melts if you are using it. Stir occasionally.
- 1 cup serving size.
- Note Vegan, omit the cheese or sub a vegan [non dairy no animal rennet] cheese in place.