Recipe by Dreamgoddess
This is a Zaar recipe that I adopted. I hope to make this soon and will post any modifications that I make to the recipe.
Top Review by Chocolatl
This is a fairly ordinary stew recipe until you add the cheese, and then--WOW. I like the fact that there are two kinds of onions added at two different times, which adds another layer of flavor. We served this with pasta, but it would be good with rice or bread as well. Thanks for posting!
- 3 lbs stew meat, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs white onions
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3⁄4 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy kettle, brown meat in butter.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add chopped onion and saute until clear.
- Mix in tomato paste, vinegar, garlic and half of the water.
- Add bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour, adding additional water as needed.
- Add white onions and mushrooms.
- Cover and simmer 1 more hour or until meat and onions are tender.
- Add cheese, cover and cook 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.