1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is directly from LaurieConstantino.com, She developed this recipe for Bob's Red Mill. She says, "Greek Beans and Grains Soup is tart, chewy, creamy, herby, and all-around delicious. Paired with Rustic Greek Cornbread and a light green salad, it’s great for lunch or dinner. If you’re like me, you’ll also eat it for breakfast. To make the soup vegan be sure to use vegetable stock or water (it’s richer if made with stock)." She further notes, "You can turn this recipe into a salad. To do so, use 6 cups stock, don’t cover pot while it simmers, and cook liquid down until it’s almost gone, stirring regularly to prevent burning. When beans are done, stir in onions, dill, lemon juice, and lemon peel. Serve hot or at room temperature."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups diced yellow onions (1/4 inch dice)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups bob's red mill beans and grains soup mix, rinsed under cold water
- 8 cups vegetable stock or 8 cups chicken stock or 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups thinly sliced green onions, green and white parts both
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- extra dill (to garnish)
- 1In large pot, sauté onions, lightly seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper, in olive oil.
- 2Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in Beans and Grains mixture, stock, and 1 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil, cover, turn down heat to low, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until beans are tender.
- 3When beans are done, stir in green onion, dill, lemon juice, and lemon peel. Cook for 5 minutes.
- 4Taste and add salt, freshly ground black pepper, dill, or lemon juice, as needed. Garnish with dill and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Beans and Grains Soup (Polysporia)
Serving Size: 1 (135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.8
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 450.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: