Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Just picture this hearty bean vegetable soup topped with feta cheese, fresh chopped tomato and parsley. Add pita bread, toasted and buttered for dunking.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans navy beans, drained
- 2 cups cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large sauce pan saute onions, celery and carrots in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add broth, garlic, oregano and pepper and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add beans and cabbage, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and simmer 5 minutes.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls and top with cheese, tomato and parsley.
This was great!!! I took Mirjam's lead and substituted veggie broth for the chicken broth. When I ran out of feta cheese [the next day], I substituted parmesean, and it was equally as wonderful!! Thank you for an easy, quick, nutritious and delicious soup, it really hit the spot!!!
Simply superb! This was part of last night's dinner, and I brought the leftovers in for lunch, had to beat my co-workers off with a stick! I subbed veggie broth for the chicken broth to make it vegetarian, and added double the amount of feta cheese (the recipe calls for 1/4 for 4 people, I upped it to 1/2 a cup). Thanks Lorac, this a new one for my repetoire!
This was great! My husband is sometimes very leery of 'unusual' things I make, and although this is unique (not unusual) he LOVED it and thought it was great! I also used the vegetable stock as an alternative. Superb!