Recipe by Lorac
Just picture this hearty bean vegetable soup topped with feta cheese, fresh chopped tomato and parsley. Add pita bread, toasted and buttered for dunking.
Top Review by Leah K.
This was great!!! I took Mirjam's lead and substituted veggie broth for the chicken broth. When I ran out of feta cheese [the next day], I substituted parmesean, and it was equally as wonderful!! Thank you for an easy, quick, nutritious and delicious soup, it really hit the spot!!!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans navy beans, drained
- 2 cups cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large sauce pan saute onions, celery and carrots in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add broth, garlic, oregano and pepper and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add beans and cabbage, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and simmer 5 minutes.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls and top with cheese, tomato and parsley.