Recipe by chia
this recipe uses fast cooking barley, but you can use regular barley too, just increase the cooking time to 45 minutes.
Top Review by gemini08
This was a very tasty salad! I didn't have cucumbers but added greek pepperoncinis and cannellini beans. The dressing as well as the Feta on top where delicious! Thanks for posting, chia!
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 3⁄4 cup chopped red pepper
- 3⁄4 cup chopped cucumber
- 3⁄4 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup pitted kalamata olive, sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 clove minced garlic
- salt, pepper
- 2⁄3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- bring 2 c vegetable broth to a boil.
- add barley, cover, lower to simmer and cook 12 minutes until barley is tender.
- remove from heat, drain if necessary, cool completely.
- combine barley, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and olives in a bowl.
- combine broth, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper, stir well and add to barley mixture, toss well.
- add feta cheese, toss.
- serve over romaine lettuce leaves.