Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
this recipe uses fast cooking barley, but you can use regular barley too, just increase the cooking time to 45 minutes.
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 3⁄4 cup chopped red pepper
- 3⁄4 cup chopped cucumber
- 3⁄4 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup pitted kalamata olive, sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 clove minced garlic
- salt, pepper
- 2⁄3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- bring 2 c vegetable broth to a boil.
- add barley, cover, lower to simmer and cook 12 minutes until barley is tender.
- remove from heat, drain if necessary, cool completely.
- combine barley, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and olives in a bowl.
- combine broth, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper, stir well and add to barley mixture, toss well.
- add feta cheese, toss.
- serve over romaine lettuce leaves.
This was a very tasty salad! I didn't have cucumbers but added greek pepperoncinis and cannellini beans. The dressing as well as the Feta on top where delicious! Thanks for posting, chia!
The salad is melding in the refrigerator for supper, but the tasting I did while preparing it told me it is a keeper! I used vegetable boullion so I didn't need to add salt. I can't wait to serve this tonight with some grilled sausages and roasted brussel sprouts. Thanks, Carole in Orlando