Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I have made this cake many times in the past and always receive raves reviews all around, it's a buttery cake loaded with walnuts then soaked in honey syrup, trust me you will love this cake!
Top Review by artistclogger
This cake is WOW. We served it tonight to dinner guests at a Greek Themed dinner, and they were speechless. It is THAT good. Very moist, and yes, it gets better after it "sits" and melds for about 24 hours. I modified it a tad. For the syrup, I used only 3/4 c. each sugar honey, and only 1/4 c water. I used 1/4 c Orange juice instead of the lemon juice, and the end result was just amazing. Our dinner had so much "lemon" flavor, which is why I leaned toward the "orange" flavor for this cake/dessert. I was a bit nervous about the huge amount of "syrup" to pour over the cake (even though I reduced the amount of syrup ingredients), but the cake absorbed it all. What an astounding flavor and texture. Thank you, Kittencal!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (second-lowest oven rack).
- Butter a 9-inch square glass baking pan.
- In a bowl combine flour with baking powder, salt, cinnamon and orange zest; set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter together with 1 cup sugar until fluffy (about 3-4 minutes, no sugar granules should remain).
- Add in eggs and vanilla and beat well to combine.
- Add in flour mixture alternately with milk mixing until just combined.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Transfer to prepared baking pan.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool for about 20 minutes then slice into diamond shapes.
- Drizzle the honey glaze over the slices.
- For the honey glaze; in a saucepan combine honey, 1 cup sugar and water; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Add in lemon juice and continue to boil for 2 minutes.
- Drizzle over cake.