Recipe by Rita~
Sweet and Nutty!
Top Review by canarygirl
Baklava is one of my all time favorite desserts. This was my first time actually making some on my own! I wasn't sure what temp to put the oven on, it wasn't specified, so I put it at 375º, and that was a bit high, my baklava browned within 1/2 hour. So, I recommend 350º or maybe even 325º. The flavor is a bit lemony, next time I would reduce the lemon juice to 3 tablespoons or even 2. It was delicious though! Thank you for posting!
- 1 lb phyllo pastry, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup butter, melted at room temp
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325. Layer half of the sheets of phyllo one sheet at a time, in a greased 11x7x2 baking pan, brushing each sheet evenly with butter and folding ends over if necessary to fit into pan.
- Keep unused sheets covered with plastic wrap while assembling baklava to prevent drying.
- Mix 1/4 cup of the sugar and cinnamon; stir in walnuts.
- Sprinkle nut mixture evenly over buttered phyllo in pan.
- Layer remaining phyllo, one sheet at a time, over nut mixture, brushing each sheet evenly with butter.
- Cut diagonally into squares, cutting completely through all layers.
- Bake in preheated oven until crisp and golden, about one hour.
- Combine remaining sugar, the water, lemon juice and honey in small saucepan; cook and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Heat to boiling; pour evenly over hot baklava.
- Let stand loosely covered 8 hours or overnight.