Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This baklava is decadent and spot on to any I've ever tried in Greek cafes or restaurants. Allow to sit overnight or at least 8 hours before serving to allow syrup to settle in. I sub the nuts for what I have on hand and find the pecans pack the most flavor and like to sub some of the walnuts for almonds if I have them available.
- 1 lb walnuts (sub some almonds in for a portion of the walnuts if desired for a nutty medley)
- 1 lb pecans
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash ground cloves
- 1 lb butter
- 1 lb phyllo dough
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon)
- 1⁄2 lemon, squeezed
- Coarsely grind nuts and mix well with sugar, cinnamon and coves.
- Melt butter and brush a 13 x9 pan.
- Cut filo to fit pan.
- Place 8 sheets of phyllo on the bottom brushing with butter between each layer.
- Sprinkle approximately 1 cup nuts on top of phyllo.
- Place 3 more sheets of phyllo on top, brushing each with butter. Alternate in his manner until all ingredients have been used. Save 8 sheets of phyllo for top layer. Brush top with butter.
- Cut through the top with a sharp knife into individual pieces.
- Bake at 325 for 1 hour or until brown and crisp.
- While still hot, cover with cooled syrup and let stand overnight before serving.
- For syrup:.
- Combine all ingredient in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil gently for 20-30 minutes. Cool the syrup before pouring over hot baklava.