This is a delicious recipe, and one I have enjoyed many times. It would make an excellent appetizer for entertaining as well as a great dinner idea!
- 2 lbs large shrimp, uncooked
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups diced peeled tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup non-alcoholic wine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 ounces fat-free feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Remove shells from shrimp, leaving last segment and tail intact; remove vein.
- Rinse and dry.
- In a pan saute onion in oil until transparent, (adding a few drops of water if necessary), add garlic and green onion and cook 2 minutes more.
- To the onions add the tomatoes, wine, half the parsley, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until thickened.
- Pour half the sauce into a shallow casserole, and arrange the shrimp on top.
- Pour the rest of the sauce on, and sprinkle crumbled feta over the shrimp.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until prawns are pink and feta is lightly browned.
- Garnish with remaining parsley and serve.