This is a delicious recipe, and one I have enjoyed many times. It would make an excellent appetizer for entertaining as well as a great dinner idea!
- 2 lbs large shrimp, uncooked
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups diced peeled tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup non-alcoholic wine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 ounces fat-free feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Remove shells from shrimp, leaving last segment and tail intact; remove vein.
- Rinse and dry.
- In a pan saute onion in oil until transparent, (adding a few drops of water if necessary), add garlic and green onion and cook 2 minutes more.
- To the onions add the tomatoes, wine, half the parsley, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until thickened.
- Pour half the sauce into a shallow casserole, and arrange the shrimp on top.
- Pour the rest of the sauce on, and sprinkle crumbled feta over the shrimp.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until prawns are pink and feta is lightly browned.
- Garnish with remaining parsley and serve.
This recipe is TO DIE FOR! My husband said it tastes like "Greek, Italian, and Cajun combined!" I took the tails off of the shrimp (kiddos don't like the hassle), and I served it as a main course with lemon rice pilaf and steamed broccoli. I made quite a bit, and there were NO leftovers! I also sauteed the onion in roasted garlic flavored olive oil. Yummy!
Hi! I made this recipe for a greek diner party I was giving. It was a hit. The preparation was so easy.The taste was exceptional.The other couple wanted the recipe to take home. I loved the taste & the ease of everything involved.Your recipe was great keep up the good giving.I like to get.
What a winner this was. What I really liked was the flavour of the shrimp was not covered up with a heavy sauce. It went over very well with my dinner guests as well. Very enjoyable and easy to prepare. Thank you Sue.