Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a recipe that restaurants in my area usually make for their banquets. It is simple, fairly fast to make and can easily be made in large quantities. You can easily adjust the amount of the seasonings to suit your own taste.
- 1 -3 lb chicken thigh (bone in/skin on...Do not use skinless!)
- shortening (solid-Crisco)
- lemon juice
- lemon pepper
- garlic salt
- dried oregano (crushed)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place baking pan (no glassware) on stove top, heat slightly to melt enough of the shortening to cover bottom about 1/8" DO NOT CONTINUE TO HEAT PAN!
- Place chicken thighs side by side, skin side up in pan Brush top of each piece of chicken with some of the melted shortening Sprinkle a small amount of lemon juice over entire contents of pan Sprinkle a small amount of lemon pepper on top of each chicken piece Repeat same step again, but using the garlic salt Now cover each piece with small amount of oregano (amount used, depending on your taste) Place approx 1/8" pat of butter on each piece Bake uncovered in a 375 degree F oven for 45-50 minutes Remove pan from oven--turn on broiler--place in broiler and broil only long enough to make top of each piece be nice and crispy (this step is fairly fast, so do not leave chicken alone for very long--check frequently!) NOTE: I have found solid-Crisco shortening to give a much better taste to this recipe than most liquid veg oils NOTE: Using a skinless thigh (to reduce fat) will greatly degrade the final taste and results for this recipe.
- NOTE: Chicken legs may also be used in combination with the thighs for this recipe.