Recipe by Paul Elliott
I came up with this because my wife loves everything creamy, but has been told to cut down on the dairy. The potatoes break down and give a cream soup feel and taste. It's very simple, hearty and healthy. It's also easy to come up with variations. A food processor makes for easy preparation
Top Review by kiwidutch
Yum! A good filling soup for winter days and very easy to make. The only change that I made was to use home-made (salt free) vegetable stock instead of just the plain water. .. and since it was listed as a "Vegetable" soup I also of course left out the beef bone .. also so that my vegetarian MiL could join us. Please see my Rating system, 4 lovely stars for a tasty veggie soup that we had for dinner and which I had twice for lunch. Thanks!
- 3 celery ribs
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, shredded
- 2 cups fresh mixed vegetables or 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, of your choice
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt
- 8 cups water
- 3 -4 bay leaves
- 12 peppercorns
- marrow, beef bone
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer stock ingredients for an hour or two.
- Heat oil in soup pot and saute onions and celery on med.
- high heat until onions are transluscent.
- Add stock, carrots and potatoes.
- Simmer until carrots are tender and potatoes start to break down (about 1/2 hour to an hour).
- Add water to desired consistency.
- Remove a few cups and puree with a blender and return to pot.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add additional vegetables and simmer about 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.